IPL VS Laser Hair Removal, Which Is Better?
Shaving, plucking, and waxing is a time-consuming and painful way to remove unwanted hair. Nowadays, most people prefer IPL hair removal and laser hair removal to achieve an effective hair removal result. Both of them can leave your skin smooth and hair-free.
But what's the difference between laser and IPL? Which is better, at home hair removal or permanent laser hair removal at a salon? Do they have the same effect?
If you're thinking of opting for IPL or laser hair removal right now, let's figure out the differences between them and which one is right for you.
What Is Laser Hair Removal?
Laser hair removal is a medical procedure that uses a single and concentrated wavelength of light to remove unwanted hair.
During laser hair removal, the light from the laser is absorbed by the pigment in the hair. Light energy is converted into heat, which damages the hair follicles in the skin. This damage can inhibit or delay new hair growth.
The narrow beams used in laser therapy are targeted, precise, and effective.
What Is IPL hair removal?
IPL stands for Intense Pulsed Light Technology, which is used by cosmetic and medical practitioners to solve various skin problems and hair removal. When it comes to hair removal, the IPL hair removal device emits pulses of light that are absorbed by pigments in hair follicles just below the skin's surface. The light is converted into heat, absorbed by the skin, and fundamentally destroys the hair follicle - causing a significant slowdown in hair loss and regeneration.
IPL hair removers use broad-spectrum light with multiple wavelengths. It's more gentle.
Before we dive into the differences between IPL and laser hair removal treatment, let’s look at their similarities.
- Both technologies are non-ablative.
- Both use light to heat and destroy skin blemishes.
- Both can remove unwanted body
IPL and lasers can resolve a variety of skin problems are the following:
- Wrinkles, fine lines
- Sun damage
- Unwanted freckles, age spots
- Unwanted body hair
The main difference between IPL and laser is the light source. IPL uses broad-spectrum light with multiple wavelengths. It works more like a light beam from a flashlight, covering a wider area of skin. While laser hair removal light has one specific wavelength. It's more concentrated, focused, and powerful. This means it can deliver laser energy to precise locations and structures, minimizing damage to the tissue surrounding the skin.
Even though both IPL and laser hair removal are light therapy and can permanently remove unwanted body hair, the experience of the hair removal process is different. It is specifically manifested in the following aspects:
Treatment Time: The treatment window of laser equipment is very small, so it needs about 15-60 minutes to complete a session. Small areas like the upper lip can be treated in less than a minute, while for the large areas such as the back or legs, it may need more than one hour. The treatment window of IPL hair removeris bigger. It only needs about 15 minutes to complete a full-body hair removal session.
- Pain Level: Pain tolerance is subjective. It is also affected by skin tone, hair color, and the target area. Most people described laser hair removal as feeling like a needle. For sensitive areas such as armpits and bikini lines, it's more painful. IPLhair removal system is like 1% of that pain. In most cases, you won’t feel pain, just a little bit of warmth in some time.
- Cost: According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, the average laser hair removal cost for each treatment is from$200 to $400. The cost varies from clinic to clinic and patient to patient. It is mainly affected by the size of the treated area and the number of treatments required. Most patients need about 6 treatments to finish a full body hair removal. home IPL hair removal is more affordable. You only need to invest in reliable a hair removal device, then you can easily remove the unwanted hair whenever you want.
- Safety: Since the light of laser hair removeris very powerful, it may cause burns, blisters, and scars in inexperienced hands. With treatment by a doctor who is professional in using lasers and has a deep understanding of the skin, you can greatly reduce the risk of possible side effects. IPL is an established hair removal treatment that has been tried and tested over the years. It is very safe with minimal risk of side effects.
- Hair removal result: As we mentioned before, both laser and IPL hair removal are light therapy. The light is absorbed by the dark pigment of the hair to heat the hair follicles to prevent new hair growth. People with dark, thick hair and light skin are the ideal candidates. Laser hair removal is more precise and concentrated. The result is more permanent. IPLfor hair removal will need a touch-up phase to maintain a permanent hair removal result.
There are tons of home IPL and laser hair removal devices on the market today. Making a decision between IPL and laser hair removal is very personal. Your skin tone and hair color will affect the hair reduction results that you can achieve. It's important to know what works best for you so you can get the satisfactory results you want. You should consider your skin tone as well as the amount you wish to spend and how quickly you would like to see results.
If you are looking for an FDA-approved best IPL hair removal for permanent hair removal, we recommend the BoSidin Pioneer Pro. It is really a great investment.
Many people give BoSidin Pioneer a lot of high praise. However, the BoSidin Pioneer Pro is an upgraded version. It comes with five different high-quality head attachments that can precisely treat the hair in each region of the body such as the face, arms, underarms, legs, bikini line, etc. BoSidin uses medical-grade continuous pulse technology, which has the superiority of laser and IPL, so that can penetrate deeply into hair follicles and the energy has a very low effect on the epidermis, which is truly safe.
For people with low pain thresholds, the BoSidin hair removal is simply a must choice because of its innovative dynamic cooling technology. That technology keeps the head at 5℃ during the hair removal treatment, which is gentle and effective even on the most sensitive parts of the body.
BoSidin at home IPL hair removal is also a beauty tool! It has a skin rejuvenation(SR) mode which can activate the collagen of your skin, and reduce pores and blemishes. After several skin treatments, you will notice smoother tighter healthier skin. With BoSidin, you don’t need to go to the beauty salon anymore, it works as great as the beauty aspect.